Crime
Seventh victim of New Orleans car-ramming attack identified as 18-year-old Kareem Badawi

The seventh victim is 18-year-old Kareem Badawi, a freshman at the University of Alabama.
Kareem had recently graduated from the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge, where he was described as a bright and promising young man with a future full of potential.
Officials from the Episcopal School expressed their condolences, calling Kareem’s death a tragic loss for their school community and the world at large.
The University of Alabama confirmed that one of its students, Kareem Badawi, was among the victims of the tragic terrorist attack that unfolded in New Orleans on New Year’s Day.
In a heartfelt statement shared on social media, University President Stuart R. Bell expressed his condolences:
“I learned today that Kareem Badawi, one of our students at The University of Alabama, was killed in the terrorist attack in New Orleans. I grieve alongside family and friends of Kareem in their heartbreaking loss.”
Badawi, a freshman at the university, was a promising young man with a bright future ahead of him. He graduated in 2024 from the Episcopal School of Baton Rouge, where he had been a valued member of the school community.
The Episcopal School of Baton Rouge also issued a statement, announcing plans to honor both Badawi and another graduate, Parker Vidrine, who was injured in the attack. The school will hold an evening prayer session on Thursday to remember Badawi and to support Vidrine’s recovery.
“This is a time for our community to come together to mourn the loss of Kareem and to pray for Parker’s healing,” said a school spokesperson.
Both Badawi and Vidrine were members of the school’s Class of 2024, and their teachers and classmates recall them as exceptional individuals who left a lasting impact on their community.
As more victims are identified, the New Orleans community continues to grapple with the aftermath of the devastating attack, which claimed the lives of 15 people and injured dozens more. Families, friends, and communities are mourning the loss of these individuals whose lives were cut short.
Authorities continue their investigation, working to piece together the events of the attack and to support the grieving families. Further details on the victims and their stories are expected to emerge in the coming days.
A University of Georgia student remains in critical condition, and two Israeli citizens were among the injured, according to statements from their respective institutions and governments.
Authorities continue to investigate the motive behind the attack and the suspect’s potential affiliations with terrorist organizations. This tragedy has cast a somber shadow over what should have been a joyous celebration, as families and communities come to terms with their loss.
Crime
Victim Killed in Northwest Side Phone Repair Store Shooting Identified as 35-Year-Old Cody Bell

San Antonio police are investigating a fatal shooting that occurred at a phone repair store on the Northwest Side, resulting in the deaths of two men.
The incident took place around 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday in the 11800 block of Bandera Road, near Loop 1604.
According to authorities, the altercation began when a customer, dissatisfied with the repair service, engaged in a verbal dispute with an employee.
As the confrontation escalated, it turned physical.
At one point, police said the customer produced a firearm and shot the employee.
In response, a second employee retrieved his own firearm and shot the customer.
Both the initial victim and the customer sustained fatal injuries and were pronounced dead.
The employee who was killed has been identified as 35-year-old Cody Bell.
The second employee involved in the shooting is cooperating with investigators and is not currently facing charges, police confirmed.
The investigation remains ongoing as authorities review evidence and statements to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.