Crime
One West Virginia National Guard Member Killed Another Critically Injured After Shooting Near the White House, Suspect in Custody
WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two members of the West Virginia National Guard who were shot earlier Wednesday near the White House have died from their injuries, West Virginia Governor Patrick Morrisey confirmed.
“It is with profound sorrow that we can confirm both members of the West Virginia National Guard who were shot earlier today in Washington, D.C., have passed away from their injuries,” Governor Morrisey said in a statement posted to X. “These brave West Virginians lost their lives in the service of their country. Our entire state grieves with their families, their loved ones, and the Guard community.”
Governor Morrisey added that the state would pursue full accountability for what he described as a “horrific act,” stating that West Virginia will never forget the sacrifice of the fallen service members.
The shooting occurred near the intersection of 17th Street Northwest and I Street Northwest, just blocks from the White House.
Initial emergency radio traffic confirmed that two National Guard members had been shot and transported from the scene—one with multiple gunshot wounds to the lower body and the other reportedly suffering a gunshot wound to the head.
Authorities stated that a suspect is in custody.
The suspect also sustained gunshot injuries but is expected to survive, according to a source familiar with the investigation.
The scene was heavily secured with police tape as emergency vehicles, flashing lights, and helicopters surrounded the area. Witnesses reported hearing two gunshots followed by three more about half a minute later, triggering panic as people ran for safety. One eyewitness reported that a group of children were nearby when the gunfire erupted.
Personnel from the U.S. Secret Service, Metropolitan Police Department, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), and on-duty National Guard troops responded. At least one medical helicopter landed on the National Mall to assist with transport.
All three gunshot victims were taken to local hospitals, according to Vito Maggiolo, Public Information Officer for DC Fire and Emergency Services.
The Metropolitan Police Department, Joint DC Task Force, and federal agencies are working jointly on the investigation. No motive has been released, and officials have not said whether the shooting was targeted or random.
The National Guard issued a statement acknowledging the incident and confirming coordination with law enforcement, stating:
“We are aware of the incident and are working closely with the Metropolitan Police Department and other agencies. The health and safety of our service members is our top priority as we continue to support citizens and visitors of Washington, D.C.”
President Donald Trump, who is currently in Florida for Thanksgiving, responded to the shooting on Truth Social, writing:
“The animal who shot the guardsmen will pay a very steep price. God bless our great National Guard, our Military, and our Law Enforcement. I stand with you.”
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem also responded publicly, writing on X:
“Please join me in praying for the two National Guardsmen who were just shot moments ago in Washington, D.C.”
A spokesperson for Washington, D.C., Mayor Muriel Bowser confirmed that city officials are actively monitoring the situation.
Crime
Four Dead, Ten Injured in Mass Shooting at Child’s Birthday Party in Stockton, Possible Targets Reportedly Rappers MBnel and Fly Boy Doughy
Early reports indicate that the intended targets of the mass shooting Saturday evening at a child’s birthday celebration may have been Stockton-based rappers MBnel and Fly Boy Doughy.
The party was reportedly held for Fly Boy Doughy’s daughter.
These details have been circulated through community sources and individuals connected to law enforcement; however, no official confirmation has been released at this time.
According to confirmed information from Heather Brent, spokesperson for the San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office, four individuals were pronounced deceased at the scene.
The ages of the victims killed have been confirmed as: 30, 22, 14, and 8 years old.
A total of 14 victims were struck by gunfire and transported to medical facilities for treatment.
Authorities say the shooting occurred at a banquet venue located in the 1900 block of Lucile Avenue, where a large family gathering was underway.

Brent stated during a press briefing that investigators believe this may have been a targeted attack. However, she emphasized that detectives are actively examining all potential motives and circumstances surrounding the incident.
The area remains an active crime scene, and the roadway will remain closed until further notice.
No arrests have been announced, and the identity of the suspect or suspects has not yet been released.
The names of the victims are also being withheld pending notification of family.
Officials are urging the public to avoid the area and are asking anyone with information to immediately contact authorities.
During the press briefing, Stockton Mayor Christina Fugazi addressed the community, stating:
“Stockton is better than this. This holiday weekend should be a time for families to gather, celebrate, and share love. Tonight, unfortunately, heaven is a little fuller—with both children and adults who did not make it home.”
San Joaquin County District Attorney Ron Freitas also addressed the public, calling the incident devastating:
“A tragedy of this nature is unthinkable. The loss of life—especially the loss of children in our community—is absolutely heartbreaking.”
Freitas urged the suspect to surrender, adding:
“If you are responsible for this, turn yourself in immediately.”
Stockton Vice Mayor Jason Lee wrote in a public statement expressing his grief and outrage:
“I am devastated and angry to learn about the mass shooting at a child’s birthday party. An ice cream shop should never be a place where families fear for their lives.”
A statement released by the Office of the California Governor confirmed that state emergency agencies are monitoring the situation and coordinating with local authorities.
Assemblymember Rhodesia Ransom also issued a statement extending support to affected families:
“I’m heartbroken by the violence and senseless loss of life. My thoughts are with the families experiencing unimaginable pain and with those recovering from injuries. These events are deeply traumatizing. I am praying for healing, peace, and a renewed sense of safety for our community.”
The investigation is ongoing, and further updates are expected as additional information becomes available.
Authorities are asking anyone with video, witness accounts, or relevant details to contact law enforcement immediately.
