Crime
Teacher Jennifer Carter Informed Apalachee High School Students It Was Just a Drill
My kids were so brave and followed my instructions without panicking for over 10 minutes.
Teacher Jennifer Carter told her students at Apalachee High School that it was just a drill, even though a shooting had occurred, leaving 4 people dead and 9 injured. She later explained, “I knew it wasn’t true, but I said it for the safety of the kids.”
“Jennifer Carter shared this on Facebook: ‘Today was the scariest day of my teaching career. During our second-period drill, I lied to my students, telling them it was just a practice.
I knew it was a real lockdown, and I’d always planned my classroom layout with safety in mind. My kids were so brave and followed my instructions without panicking for over 10 minutes.
When the real emergency began, I had to come clean. They trusted me and stayed hidden, even when the situation became chaotic. It was the most helpless I’ve ever felt. I was terrified for my students, especially Anna, who was somewhere in the building.
Finally, we were evacuated to the football field, surrounded by armed police. My kids were still so calm and followed my directions. I’m so grateful that my planning paid off, but I wish I never had to put it to use.’”
Colt Gray’s father, 54-year-old Colin Gray, has been arrested in connection with the Apalachee High School shooting.

Colin Gray faces charges of four counts of involuntary manslaughter, two counts of second-degree murder, and eight counts of cruelty to children.
The Georgia Bureau of Investigation (GBI) director, Chris Hosey, stated that these charges stem from Mr. Gray knowingly allowing his son, Colt, to possess a weapon.
Last year, Colin Gray accompanied his son during an interview with the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office after the FBI linked online threats to the then-13-year-old Colt.
Despite no probable cause being found at that time, the school was notified of the incident. Subsequently, the family relocated to neighboring Barrow County, where Colt enrolled at Apalachee High School.
Hosey did not disclose specific details about the evidence collected against either father or son but confirmed that the arrest was made when sufficient probable cause was established.
Within an hour of Colt Gray’s arrest, the ATF and GBI conducted a thorough search of the Gray family home for evidence related to the shooting. Colin Gray was booked into the Barrow County Jail.
The GBI continues to investigate the incident, following all leads and evidence. Authorities have also revealed that all nine individuals injured in the shooting are expected to recover. Two of the injured were teachers, while the rest were students. Several victims remain hospitalized.
The public is urged to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
A hearing has been scheduled for Friday, September 6th, at 8:30 a.m. for the 14-year-old accused of committing the mass shooting at Apalachee High School.
The suspect, Colt Gray, was transferred to the Gainesville Regional Youth Detention Center overnight. Despite being a juvenile, he will be tried and arraigned as an adult. Gray faces four counts of felony murder.

The hearing will take place via video conference from the youth detention facility to the Barrow County courthouse.
Law enforcement officials interviewed Gray immediately after the shooting. However, the motive behind the attack remains unclear at this time.
Crime
Investigators Believe Nancy Guthrie Removed From Her Home and Likely Concealed or Disposed of Within a Two-Hour Drive
TUCSON, Ariz. — As the investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie continues, analysis of the known timeline suggests she was most likely removed from her residence between approximately 2:30 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. local Tucson time.
Based on that estimated window, investigators and independent analysts believe that if Guthrie was transported from her home, the suspect would have had sufficient time to conceal her or dispose of her remains within a two-hour driving radius of Tucson before first light.
Twilight on Sunday, February 1, 2026, began at approximately 5:40 a.m., providing a limited but significant period of darkness during which a suspect could have traveled undetected.
This geographic radius would encompass large areas of remote desert terrain, rural roadways, mountainous regions, and sparsely populated land across southern Arizona.
Law enforcement has not publicly confirmed a specific search zone but has emphasized that remote areas remain a focus of investigative efforts.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Pima County Sheriff’s Department have been working jointly on the case.
As previously announced, federal authorities recently released four images recovered from Nancy Guthrie’s home surveillance system, including images depicting a masked individual believed to be connected to the case.
Investigators have stated that over the course of eight days, they worked closely with private-sector technology partners to recover digital evidence that may have been lost, corrupted, or rendered inaccessible. Authorities indicated that certain recording devices may have been removed from the home, complicating early evidence collection efforts.
Officials have not publicly confirmed whether Guthrie is deceased, and the case remains classified as a missing person investigation. However, the working theory that she was forcibly removed from her residence during the early morning hours has guided search efforts.
Investigators have emphasized that locations where a victim may have been concealed or transported could still contain critical forensic evidence. If Nancy Guthrie was taken to a secondary location within the estimated timeframe, it is possible that trace evidence — including DNA belonging to both the victim and the perpetrator — could remain recoverable.
Identifying any site containing a combination of Nancy Guthrie’s DNA and that of a suspect would represent a significant breakthrough in the case and could substantially assist law enforcement in determining what occurred.
Authorities continue to urge anyone with information about Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance to come forward. Even seemingly minor details — including unusual vehicle activity, suspicious behavior, or knowledge of remote locations accessed during the early morning hours of February 1 — could prove vital.
Anyone with information related to the case is asked to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI.
The investigation remains active and ongoing.
