Crime
8-Year-Old Ryder Smith Assaulted By His Music Teacher at Pleasant Hill Elementary School
PLEASANT HILL, Ill. — An investigation is underway following allegations that an 8-year-old student was physically assaulted by a music teacher during class at Pleasant Hill Elementary School on November 5, 2025, according to the child’s mother.
The student, Ryder Smith, was participating in music class when the leg of his chair reportedly bent, creating an embarrassing situation.
His mother, Bethany Smith, stated that Ryder attempted to correct the issue himself by turning the chair over and trying to straighten the bent leg.
According to the family, the music teacher responded by yelling at Ryder and, without allowing him to explain, allegedly grabbed him by both shoulders and forcefully threw him backward.
Ryder reportedly struck a table before falling to the floor.
The mother further alleges that while her son lay on the ground crying, the teacher turned up the volume of the classroom music and continued to verbally reprimand him, instructing him to remain on the floor until the end of class.
The incident was reported by the child’s parent to the local sheriff’s office. The family states they were initially informed that the matter would be pursued and that the teacher could face arrest.
The case was later transferred to state police. The family was subsequently notified that no criminal charges would be filed, though they say no explanation was provided for that decision.
According to the mother, several students who were present in the classroom witnessed the incident and gave consistent accounts supporting Ryder’s version of events.
She also reports that the school’s principal—who also serves as the district superintendent—did not notify her of the incident. Instead, she was directed to contact the dean of students at the high school, who had no prior relationship with Ryder or his family.
When the family requested an official incident report, they were provided with what was described as a “referral report.” In that document, the teacher reportedly stated that he had “removed” Ryder from his chair.
The mother alleges that the school attempted to shift responsibility onto her son and that she learned key details of what occurred from another student—information she says conflicted with what school administrators initially told her.
The family further claims that school officials have not acknowledged the seriousness of a staff member physically handling a student.
The mother also alleges that this is not an isolated issue within Pleasant Hill Community Unit School District 4.
Earlier in the school year, she says another teacher in the district was asked to resign following multiple complaints from students and parents regarding abusive conduct.
In an email from the superintendent/principal, the family was informed that the teacher involved in Ryder’s case would return to the classroom effective January 5, 2026, and that the administration considers the matter closed as the district prepares for the second semester.
In a public social media post, Ryder’s mother wrote:
“My child is terrified to go back to school. I am terrified to send him back to school. I am beyond disgusted and disappointed in the decisions of the individuals I entrusted with my children by enrolling them in this district.”
The family states they are continuing to pursue legal action and remain committed to seeking accountability—not only for their son, but for other students they believe may be at risk.
They say they will continue advocating for student safety and transparency from school officials.
No additional comment has been released by the school district or law enforcement regarding the status of any internal review or disciplinary action.
Crime
Investigators Believe Nancy Guthrie Removed From Her Home and Likely Concealed or Disposed of Within a Two-Hour Drive
TUCSON, Ariz. — As the investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie continues, analysis of the known timeline suggests she was most likely removed from her residence between approximately 2:30 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. local Tucson time.
Based on that estimated window, investigators and independent analysts believe that if Guthrie was transported from her home, the suspect would have had sufficient time to conceal her or dispose of her remains within a two-hour driving radius of Tucson before first light.
Twilight on Sunday, February 1, 2026, began at approximately 5:40 a.m., providing a limited but significant period of darkness during which a suspect could have traveled undetected.
This geographic radius would encompass large areas of remote desert terrain, rural roadways, mountainous regions, and sparsely populated land across southern Arizona.
Law enforcement has not publicly confirmed a specific search zone but has emphasized that remote areas remain a focus of investigative efforts.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Pima County Sheriff’s Department have been working jointly on the case.
As previously announced, federal authorities recently released four images recovered from Nancy Guthrie’s home surveillance system, including images depicting a masked individual believed to be connected to the case.
Investigators have stated that over the course of eight days, they worked closely with private-sector technology partners to recover digital evidence that may have been lost, corrupted, or rendered inaccessible. Authorities indicated that certain recording devices may have been removed from the home, complicating early evidence collection efforts.
Officials have not publicly confirmed whether Guthrie is deceased, and the case remains classified as a missing person investigation. However, the working theory that she was forcibly removed from her residence during the early morning hours has guided search efforts.
Investigators have emphasized that locations where a victim may have been concealed or transported could still contain critical forensic evidence. If Nancy Guthrie was taken to a secondary location within the estimated timeframe, it is possible that trace evidence — including DNA belonging to both the victim and the perpetrator — could remain recoverable.
Identifying any site containing a combination of Nancy Guthrie’s DNA and that of a suspect would represent a significant breakthrough in the case and could substantially assist law enforcement in determining what occurred.
Authorities continue to urge anyone with information about Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance to come forward. Even seemingly minor details — including unusual vehicle activity, suspicious behavior, or knowledge of remote locations accessed during the early morning hours of February 1 — could prove vital.
Anyone with information related to the case is asked to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI.
The investigation remains active and ongoing.
