Crime
Pawtucket Ice Rink Shooting Suspect Pictured, Dressed in Women’s Clothing
UPDATE: The suspected shooter has been identified by as Robert Dorgan, 56, of North Providence, who was also known as Roberta Esposito.
PAWTUCKET, R.I. — A source familiar with the situation told Channel2 NOW that the individual responsible for the shooting at the ice rink is the father of a North Providence High School senior.
The source stated they previously played hockey with one of the suspect’s sons, who was reportedly among those targeted during the incident.
According to the source, the suspect fatally shot his young daughter and opened fire on his ex-wife and another individual during his son’s Senior Night hockey game.
A tragic act of domestic violence unfolded Monday afternoon at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket, where the father of a North Providence High School senior allegedly shot five members of his own family during a Senior Night hockey game.
Two victims died as a result of the shooting, and three others were critically injured before the gunman took his own life, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the investigation.
The incident occurred at approximately 2:30 p.m. during a Senior Night matchup featuring the Coventry-Johnston cooperative hockey team against the Blackstone Valley Schools team, which includes St. Raphael Academy, Providence Country Day School, and the public school districts of North Providence and North Smithfield.
The event had drawn dozens of students, parents, and community members to celebrate graduating seniors.
According to sources, the student’s mother was fatally shot at the rink. A sibling later succumbed to injuries at the hospital.
Three additional family members were transported to Rhode Island Hospital in critical condition. A spokesperson for Brown Health confirmed their status as of late Monday afternoon. Authorities have not released the names of the victims.
Video from a livestream of the game shows the moment violence erupted.
The footage captures the sound of rapid gunfire interrupting play on the ice, apparently originating from the stands.
At least 14 shots can be heard fired in quick succession, followed by one or two additional gunshots roughly 10 seconds later.
Players and spectators are seen scrambling off the ice and fleeing the seating area in panic.
The shooting prompted a massive law enforcement response. Police vehicles quickly surrounded the arena, and officers secured the scene.
Shortly afterward, numerous hockey players were seen gathered outside the facility—some still in socks after removing their skates—before being transported from the area for safety.
Pawtucket Mayor Don Grebien described the shooting as a tragic and devastating event.
“What should have been a joyful occasion, with dozens of families, students, and supporters gathered to celebrate Senior Night, was instead marked by violence and fear,” Grebien said in a statement. He characterized the shooting as an isolated incident and expressed condolences to the victims and their families.
“Pawtucket is a strong and resilient community, but tonight we are a city in mourning,” he added. “We will stand together to support all those affected in the difficult days ahead.”
Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee also issued a statement, encouraging anyone in need of mental health assistance to contact 988 and announcing that additional counseling resources would be made available to affected students and families.
“Our state is grieving again,” McKee said. “As governor, a parent, and a former coach, my heart breaks for the victims, families, students, and everyone impacted by the devastating shooting at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket.”
Kash Patel, Director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, confirmed that agents from the FBI’s Boston Division responded to Pawtucket and are assisting in the investigation. He stated that federal authorities would provide any necessary resources to state and local law enforcement.
School officials moved quickly to reassure families. Providence Country Day School Head of School Kevin Folan informed families that all PCD students, parents, and staff who attended the game were safe. Johnston school officials similarly confirmed that all of their students were accounted for.
Coventry Superintendent Don Cowart sent updates throughout the afternoon, first confirming that all district students had been accounted for and later announcing that they had been reunited with their families. He noted that mental health resources would be made available to hockey players and their families in the days ahead.
Authorities continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the shooting, including the events leading up to the violence and the suspect’s actions inside the arena. Officials have emphasized that this appears to have been a targeted domestic incident rather than a broader threat to the public.
Further details are expected to be released as the investigation progresses.
Crime
Brian Elliott identified as police officer shot and killed in Beech Grove
A blue alert was just issued for Kenneth Johnson. He is wanted in connection to the shooting of two Beech Grove officers.
BEECH GROVE, Ind. — One police officer was killed and another wounded Monday evening in a shooting in Beech Grove, prompting a statewide Blue Alert and an extensive manhunt for the suspect, who remains at large.
The fallen officer has been identified as 33-year-old Brian Elliott of the Beech Grove Police Department (BGPD). A second officer, whose name has not been released, was also shot and is reported to be in stable condition and expected to survive.
The Indiana State Police (ISP) has issued a Blue Alert for 47-year-old Kenneth Terrell Johnson in connection with the shooting.
Johnson is described as a Black male, approximately 6 feet tall, weighing 165 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. Authorities say he was last seen wearing a royal blue sweatshirt and blue pants. His last known location was in Beech Grove, southeast of downtown Indianapolis, at approximately 6:00 p.m. on Monday, February 16, 2026.
Johnson is considered armed and dangerous. Law enforcement officials are urging the public not to approach him. Anyone who sees Johnson is instructed to contact ISP’s Indianapolis District at (317) 899-8577 or call 911 immediately.
According to ISP Sgt. John Perrine, Johnson is wanted for his alleged involvement in injuring a law enforcement officer.
Police were initially dispatched at approximately 5:37 p.m. to the 100 block of Diplomat Court in response to a reported disturbance inside an apartment unit. Minutes later, at approximately 5:45 p.m., the call was upgraded to a “gunshot scene unsafe.”
Authorities allege that Johnson opened fire on two Beech Grove officers as they responded to the disturbance. The suspect then fled the area on foot, triggering a large-scale law enforcement response.
Around 6:10 p.m., the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) shut down Emerson Avenue from Churchman Avenue to Interstate 465 as officers searched for the suspect. Residents were advised to avoid the area and seek alternate routes.
Law enforcement deployed helicopters, K-9 units, and additional resources as part of the ongoing search.
The shooting occurred near Beech Grove High School, prompting an immediate lockdown of the campus. Although classes had already been dismissed for the day, students were still on site for after-school activities, including sports practices.
School administrators confirmed that all students and staff who were present during the lockdown remained safe and were later reunited with their families. In a statement, school officials indicated that law enforcement had searched and cleared the building.
Beech Grove City Schools plans to hold in-person classes as scheduled on Tuesday, pending any updated guidance from law enforcement. Counselors and support staff will be available to assist students and staff impacted by the traumatic event.
In a message to families, school administrators expressed sympathy for the injured officers and their families and encouraged the community to support one another.
In a statement, Beech Grove Police Chief Michael Maurice confirmed that Officer Brian Elliott was fatally wounded during the response.
According to Chief Maurice, Elliott and two other officers were dispatched at approximately 6:08 p.m. to the 100 block of Diplomat Court for a disturbance. Upon arrival, Elliott and another officer were shot.
Both officers were transported to Eskenazi Hospital. Despite extensive lifesaving efforts by medical personnel, Officer Elliott succumbed to his injuries. The second officer remains hospitalized in stable condition.
Elliott had served with BGPD for two years and previously worked with the Marion County Sheriff’s Department. He was described as a lifelong member of the Beech Grove community who had long aspired to serve as a local police officer.
“My heart goes out to Brian’s wife, Erin, his parents, and all of his family, friends, and loved ones,” Chief Maurice said. “At this time, I am asking that we lean on one another to get through this. We are grateful to the team at Eskenazi Hospital, and our law enforcement and community partners for their extraordinary response and support.”
According to Indiana State Police, a Blue Alert is a statewide notification system used to disseminate information when a law enforcement officer has been killed, seriously injured, or gone missing in the line of duty. The alert can also be used to provide information about suspects believed to be responsible for injuring or killing an officer.
As of the latest update, Kenneth Terrell Johnson remains at large. Authorities continue to urge anyone with information regarding his whereabouts to contact law enforcement immediately.
This remains an active investigation, and additional details are expected as they become available.
