Crime
15-Year-Old Christian Simmons Charged With Murder in Fatal Carjacking of Uber Driver Cesar Tejeda
LAWRENCEVILLE, Ga. — Authorities are investigating a deadly carjacking that claimed the life of a husband and father of two who was working as an Uber driver in the early morning hours Thursday, an act police have described as “senseless.”
The victim was identified as Cesar Tejeda, a resident of Grayson, Georgia. According to the Lawrenceville Police Department, Tejeda was driving a black SUV for Uber when he accepted a ride request shortly after 4:13 a.m. on Groveland Parkway.
Investigators said surveillance video shows that after the ride concluded, the passenger exited the vehicle, walked around to the driver’s side door, and shot Tejeda.
Police said the suspect then pulled Tejeda from the SUV and fled the scene in the stolen vehicle.
Approximately 10 minutes later, detectives reported that the suspect returned briefly to the area before driving the stolen SUV to a residential neighborhood in Lilburn.
Using a combination of FLOCK license plate reader data and Ring doorbell camera footage, investigators were able to track the vehicle’s movements.
Police then contacted the registered owner’s family, who confirmed the SUV belonged to Tejeda and that he was out working for Uber at the time of the incident.
With assistance from Uber, detectives were able to identify a suspect. Surveillance was established at a residence in the Lilburn neighborhood where investigators believed the suspect was staying.
When the individual later exited the home and began walking, officers moved in and took the suspect into custody without incident.
The arrest involved officers from the Gwinnett County Police Department and the Lawrenceville Police Department.
Police identified the suspect as Christian Simmons, 15, of Lilburn.
Investigators said Simmons had friends in the neighborhood where the Uber ride was requested but had no known prior connection to Tejeda.
Authorities believe the motive for the killing was vehicle theft, stating that the suspect allegedly targeted Tejeda solely to take the SUV.
“This was a senseless act of violence,” police said during a news conference.
Tejeda’s death has left his family mourning the loss of a devoted husband and father, while the case has sparked outrage across the community.
The investigation remains ongoing.
Crime
Investigators Believe Nancy Guthrie Removed From Her Home and Likely Concealed or Disposed of Within a Two-Hour Drive
TUCSON, Ariz. — As the investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie continues, analysis of the known timeline suggests she was most likely removed from her residence between approximately 2:30 a.m. and 3:00 a.m. local Tucson time.
Based on that estimated window, investigators and independent analysts believe that if Guthrie was transported from her home, the suspect would have had sufficient time to conceal her or dispose of her remains within a two-hour driving radius of Tucson before first light.
Twilight on Sunday, February 1, 2026, began at approximately 5:40 a.m., providing a limited but significant period of darkness during which a suspect could have traveled undetected.
This geographic radius would encompass large areas of remote desert terrain, rural roadways, mountainous regions, and sparsely populated land across southern Arizona.
Law enforcement has not publicly confirmed a specific search zone but has emphasized that remote areas remain a focus of investigative efforts.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Pima County Sheriff’s Department have been working jointly on the case.
As previously announced, federal authorities recently released four images recovered from Nancy Guthrie’s home surveillance system, including images depicting a masked individual believed to be connected to the case.
Investigators have stated that over the course of eight days, they worked closely with private-sector technology partners to recover digital evidence that may have been lost, corrupted, or rendered inaccessible. Authorities indicated that certain recording devices may have been removed from the home, complicating early evidence collection efforts.
Officials have not publicly confirmed whether Guthrie is deceased, and the case remains classified as a missing person investigation. However, the working theory that she was forcibly removed from her residence during the early morning hours has guided search efforts.
Investigators have emphasized that locations where a victim may have been concealed or transported could still contain critical forensic evidence. If Nancy Guthrie was taken to a secondary location within the estimated timeframe, it is possible that trace evidence — including DNA belonging to both the victim and the perpetrator — could remain recoverable.
Identifying any site containing a combination of Nancy Guthrie’s DNA and that of a suspect would represent a significant breakthrough in the case and could substantially assist law enforcement in determining what occurred.
Authorities continue to urge anyone with information about Nancy Guthrie’s disappearance to come forward. Even seemingly minor details — including unusual vehicle activity, suspicious behavior, or knowledge of remote locations accessed during the early morning hours of February 1 — could prove vital.
Anyone with information related to the case is asked to contact the FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI.
The investigation remains active and ongoing.
